Thursday, April 7, 2011

A thrifty refashion.


I am super excited about this blog post! Do you remember this pillow case I thrifted a few months ago?(If you look closely at the pile of clothes photo you'll see it poking out). I thought the pattern was simply beautiful, and for only 50c, I thought it a steal. I admit at the time I had no idea what I would actually do with the fabric, I mean, it was only a single pillow case right?

The lovely bundle has been sitting on a shelf in my sewing room for a while now, probably thinking it had been forgotten. Not a chance! Inspiration struck me today, and with a little courage I took to it with scissors and thread, and within an hour I had whipped up a cute autumn skirt.

The first thing I did was stitch the hem down. First reason being I hate hemming and figured why not get it over and done with first. The second reason was I wanted a straight hem line so I could line the fabric up with the selvedge of some neutral calico I wanted to line it with (I wanted to keep the selvedge on the calico and make it a feature, by letting it fall a few centimeters lower than the hem of the floral fabric



I then cut out two rectangles of neutral calico the same width as the floral fabric, with the hem of the floral panel sitting slightly higher than the calico selvedge. I then secured the two fabrics together using a large gathering stitch. I stitched the skirt together down one side.

I cut a long thin rectangle from both fabrics and sewed it together to form a thin waistband. I then sewed the waistband onto the skirt.

I then sewed in a side zipper and finished the side seam, and voila! My less-than-one-hour-50-cent-creation was complete!


~ That's calico popping out underneath ~




~ The calico lining ~


Drum roll please! As I was home alone and couldn't find my tripod, please prepare for a photo with a quality so bad it's really not worthy of being on a blog, but here goes anyway...

~ If you squint you can see the skirt on me ~

I am super impressed with how this skirt turned out. It was super quick and easy to make, and best of all, I don't think it looks like a pillow case anymore.

Sam xox

psst! Just wanted to wish my lovely Jamie a happy 12 year anniversary (of when we began 'dating'... not marriage. We didn't get married when we were 14) :-)

15 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea and the end result is very nice and looks lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! I actually have a pillowcase that I bought aaages ago in the hope of making it into a skirt but have been too scared to cut into! Maybe I should bite the bullet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you!

    Sorbet - you definitely should! I know what you mean though, sometimes I build up fabric so much in my head that I then need to psych myself up to cut into it, just like this pillow case (although knowing it had only cost me 50c did make moving the scissors a little easier). Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks mighty cute! Much better than the pillowcase skirt I used to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam, I know we met on a quilting blog but it has been so fun seeing you grow into a designer. I don't sew clothing but have actually been inspired by a couple of your projects (not enough to buy a pattern-lol) keep showing off your good work, others are being motivated and inspired by your posts- thanks cw

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out great! I love using linens for sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That turned out great! I love using linens for sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much everyone! Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. great use of the pillowcase...the skirt is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such an awesome print. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pillowcase skirt turned out beautiful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic! You did a wonderful job, it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely skirt, and what a bargain! I love old pillowcases, but I never seem to find any cool ones.

    ReplyDelete