Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Walk Away dress - Butterick 6015.

As promised here are some photos I took this weekend of my Walk Away dress!


I whipped this dress up in a couple of hours last weekend, but had to wait for a sunny day to take some photos. This dress was very easy to make. I have the reproduction pattern so it has the various sizes on the pattern pieces, which was useful for me, as I have a pear-shaped body. I was able to cut the bust to one size, and then the waist and hips in a larger size.

There has been a lot of hating towards this pattern, the general consensus online seems to be that it has no shape and looks like a large apron/hospital gown. I totally disagree. I think (for my shape at least) that it turned out to be super cute and is a perfect dress for our warm Australian summers. I do think though that the success of the dress relies on good fabric pattern choice, and the correct contrast bias binding - otherwise I do see how it could end up looking like the wearer was disappearing beneath 4 meters of fabric!

I wore this dress out today, visiting a cafe and doing a bit of shopping, and three people complimented me on the dress! That never happens when I wear the clothes I make - so for me this dress was a success :-)


I teamed the dress with Casey's latest romantic Edwardian updo. This was my first attempt at the hairstyle and I think its a cute look.









Positives for this pattern:
* The pattern fitted my body perfectly and required no altering.
* The bias binding was very easy to do and finished off the sides nicely.
* Sewing in snaps and button fastenings was a nice change from the usual zipper insertion.

Negatives for this pattern:
* It requires 4 meters of fabric, so this is probably a pattern I will only make again if I find some fabric on sale.

Have any of you ever made this pattern? Would love a link to see your version :-)

Sam xox

23 comments:

  1. It looks great! Definitely not shapeless in the slightest. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a pretty dress, well done! Oh that I didn't mangle every piece of fabric that I have ever put under a sewing machine, I would love to have a go at making such things. Crochet it is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! :) I made this dress as my first dress. It erm. . .wasn't a success. lol
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great - lovely fabric choice too. I think we all need a couple of full skirts in our wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you use the orginal pattern or the recent reprinted version?
    The dress is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam this is gorgeous! I've never really had an interest in this pattern before, but I've seen a couple of versions lately (including yours) which have really swayed me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!

    - Lou I used the reprinted version, as this was cheaper on ebay and came with a variety of sizes.

    - Marie, hope you end up making one, it doesn't take long and was a lot of fun!

    Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sam, your dress looks very pretty, love your choice of fabric. You look great in it, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute dress! I see a lot of flack for this pattern, too, but I love mine.

    You requested pics... I am a plus size hourglass ("Figure 8" or "Ms. Peanut") so I have to alter any pattern to my figure, and this pattern, with its lack of sleeves was the test for my fitting sloper. I made it out of some black pinwale courdoroy from my stash and 99c/yd green gingham I bought a bolt of for mockups. I also made a modest crinoline from some scrap tulle to fluff it out. It's my go-to afternoon party dress!

    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208330_214980768512263_100000010239614_883654_7801574_n.jpg

    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227930_223651067645233_100000010239614_949307_3529828_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam this is gorgeous. Hair looks great. Nice bag tooo....;)
    Really excited about your seven bloggers project. Great idea.
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the prettiest version of this dress that I've seen! I love, love the black binding and it fits you beautifully! I have a copy of this and now I want to make one up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dress turned out wonderfully! It definitely suits your body type quite well. :]

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your dress. Every time I see this dress made up I love it. I made a version of this dress. I'm a love, hater. I love how quirky the design is and the shape is amazing. After wearing it though, the front rides up. Terribly annoying. I will make it again though. If anybody has tips on how to stop it riding up, I would love to hear.
    I have seen this dress made in some fancy fabric for a wedding and it was lovely.
    http://stitchitupstella.blogspot.com/2011/02/frock-no16.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how pretty this is! I am following you now, glad to have found you! Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is the one piece dress, right? I keep meaning to make that one ever since I saw a sketch of it...

    It looks lovely! Although with some petticoats it might look even prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh I actually saw this pattern recently and was really tempted, not sure I have enough fabric now tho! Its really pretty on, love the contrasting colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dress is fabulous! You know, I saw this pattern myself and the required material put me off. Now that I've seen this lovely version I may just have to commit! I love what you've done with it, and the especially the darling fabric choice x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it looks great; the fit looks spot-on! I have this reproduction dress pattern, too, though I haven't attempted to make it up yet. I really love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much everyone for your comments! I hope a few of you are inspired to make your own Walk Away dress! Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been on the fence about sewing up a Walk Away but your version has convinced me I should go for it. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your version of the dress. I bought the pattern several years ago, as a souvenir, since my mother made the original in the 1950s. She made one for me, too, and we had mother-daughter dresses, which was quite the rage back then. You've inspired me to make it for myself. It looks great on you. My mother made them out of purple and white stripes. I won't do that. I just found your blog and was glad I looked at older posts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a clever dress! And to have people comment on it - that must have made you sing inside!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad that I found your blog AND came across this post. I just bought this pattern and I was wondering how it looked made.

    Loving it on you. Great color combos.

    ReplyDelete