Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sidonie skirt.

I purchased this fabric over a year ago now, for no other reason than just loving the colour and pattern. After 12 months of sitting in a drawer, I finally decided to make a skirt from it. However, only having 1 meter of the fabric seriously restricted what could be done with it. I searched through the Burda Style website and came across the Sidonie Skirt pattern.

With a few alterations to the original pattern, I was able to make a cute skirt with only 1 meter of fabric. The main difference is that I shortened pattern pieces 1 and 2 by about 2 inches at the shortening line, then cut the pattern one size too big. I then shaped it slightly so that the skirt sat nicely on my hips rather than on my waist (which compensated for the shortened pattern length). I did not cut the pattern on the bias either, like the instructions told me to, rather the way I cut it means that the straight grain line is running vertically through the skirt. This does not seem to make any difference to the wear. The best part of all? The Sidonie skirt pattern only cost $3 to download and took less that 1 hour to make!


Front view of the skirt.


Invisible zipper and hook and eye.


A peak inside the skirt so you can see the stitching.


A not-so-clear photo of the skirt on. When the weather is
nicer I will take a better one I promise!


Overall I am really pleased with how easy this skirt was to make, how quick it was, and how well the pattern works with 100% cotton fabrics. I think this style of skirt is quite flattering and looks good with a t-shirt or singlet top. I can see myself whipping up a few more of these before the summer is out!

Sam xox

6 comments:

  1. IMPRESSED. Look at you - already adjusting patterns like a pro! I'm jealous. Do you think the pattern would work with a heavy fabric, like wool? Sadly it's cooling down not warming up in Germany...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. I like that fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - it's awesome and you did a fantastic job on it. I hate sewing anything to do with clothes! Love it! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great fabric and great skirt! I keep saying this, but I'm so impressed with this making clothes pledge of yours.

    ReplyDelete