Saturday, May 21, 2011

Scalloped jacket and skirt progress.

I realised the other day that I haven't given much of an update on the progress of this pattern being sewn together...


I was planning on having this outfit sewn up ready to wear during my trip to Melbourne this weekend. Unfortunately, I procrastinated too long on the lining and it will just not be ready in time.

A month ago I made a muslin of both the jacket and skirt. The skirt fit perfectly, even though the pattern size was smaller than my measurements (does this ever happen to you when using vintage patterns?). The jacket muslin worked well, but I still need to perfect the scalloped edges (does anyone know of any good websites that give tutorials on sewing scallops neatly? Mine are just not sitting right).

This is the gabardine fabric I purchased to make View 1:


It is so luxuriously soft that I am sure it will break my heart a little to cut into it!

I have been waiting patiently for the perfect lining fabric to find me. As you know I love Liberty of London's Tana Lawn, and really preferred this for the lining. But after almost two months spent searching ebay I couldn't find the perfect fabric. That is, until I found this pink Betsy...


I was instantly in love, and just had to bide my time for the right amount to be listed on ebay for a reasonable price. I watched 4 auctions end before I finally won this fabric. My heart was set on it but I just wasn't prepared to pay too much for it, because it was lining after all.

Pink Betsy arrived in the post yesterday and it is perfect. I am hoping that there will be enough left over after lining the jacket to make a simple top to make the suit complete.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend!

Sam xox

7 comments:

  1. That lining is gorgeous! :) I can't wait to see it finished.
    Tilly has a couple of tips on scallops:
    http://www.tillyandthebuttons.com/2010/11/two-or-three-things-i-know-about.html

    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see this completed! The lining complements your pink fabric perfectly. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fabrics! Liberty tana lawn is sensational!

    Tilly of Tilly and the Buttons made the same suit as you and did a marvellous job. She posted a tutorial about making scallops for the jacket: http://www.tillyandthebuttons.com/2010/11/two-or-three-things-i-know-about.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving that Betsy! I presume you've seen Tilly's post by now. There'sa few interesting tips here:

    http://blog.megannielsen.com/2011/05/how-to-make-scallop-hem-shorts-from-old-shorts/

    And of course Casey's quiet genius:

    http://blog.caseybrowndesigns.com/2011/05/30s-scalloped-collar-tutorial-pt-2/

    Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow the lining is so pretty, I love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, gosh, that palette is just so wonderfully 60's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pink Betsy is GORGEOUS! I love cool linings that peek out at you every once in a while and make you want to see more!

    ReplyDelete