Wednesday, June 1, 2011

One pattern seven bloggers - the big reveal.


It feels like only yesterday, when I sent an email out to a few fellow bloggers and proposed to them that we join together and do a sewing project - One Pattern, Seven Bloggers... and now seven finished dresses!

Today is the big reveal! I apologies for the bad quality photos (and in my kitchen of all places!) but you see, we are having some terrible weather here in Sydney.

So, without further ado, here is my version of the dress...







This was a very interesting sewing experience for me. Firstly, the pattern only includes the pieces for the bodice, which allows the sewer to make the skirt how they wish. I liked this idea, but felt a bit uneasy about doing anything too tricky due to my pear shaped body and lack of pattern-drafting skills. I decided as the fabric was light I would make a simple gathered skirt.

The most interesting thing for me however, was that I actually got the dress finished! No, not because I might have procrastinated slightly, but because almost to the very last stitch I just did not like it. If this had been a project I was making on my own, there is a very good chance it would never have been completed. About 1 hour into the sewing I decided I hated the fabric pattern. About 1 hour and 30 minutes into the sewing I decided I hated the pattern. What I had in front of me looked like a pinky-red, funny shaped pile of yuck.

But I persevered and when I put it on I thought "that actually doesn't look too bad". Granted it is not a dress I would wear out to dinner, but in the warmer weather later this year it might get a few trips to the beach or park. I am yet to decide if I want to make a belt for this dress, if I do decide to I will post a tutorial.

Pluses:
* Did not use a lot of paper to print on the home printer.
* The bodice was very easy to construct.
* I like that the skirt is not included.
* The bodice is simple and I didn't need instructions.

Minuses:
* The neckline is low - so would not suit everyone.
* I changed my zipper to a centre back one.

* * * * * * *

I cannot tell you how great it has been to be part of this project. It has been fun getting to know the other girls and seeing their emails pop up in my inbox as we all share our trials and successes as we made our dresses.

And don't forget to visit their blogs to see the dresses they have made:


Sam xox

16 comments:

  1. Sam, I hope you do wear your dress because it's gorgeous! The fit is spot on, the colour really suits you and I like how your neckline sits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on the dress. It looks lovely and I really like the fabric and colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Marie - I was suprised that the neckline fitted me fine... perhaps it is due to my lack of bust? hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Sam, I've been way behind reading blogs lately, but yours is on my list to catch up on today. I must say, I love your dress, especially the neckline and sleeves. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so good! The fit is perfect and I love that neckline on you. I hope it grows on you because it's a really pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely dress, the fit is perfect on you.
    I'm enjoying looking at all the different interpretations.
    sarah.

    fashbrickroad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should definitely wear your dress because it looks gorgeous on you! Love the fabric that you chose and the gathered skirt. I did pleats but I think I want to make another one with a circle skirt. I am thinking of doing another in a coloured eyelet for summer. Thanks so much for asking me to be a part of this. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so proud of you! I have bought a couple of shirt patterns but both are still in the envelope! maybe this weekend I can get started. Wonder if having a dead line would help (?) be good cw

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! Great fabric choice, really good fit and the neckline looks great on you. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is really flattering on you! Especially the neckline. Should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really glad that you completed it, because it looks amazing! I especially like the neckline. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I checked out everyone's dresses. One pattern, seven dresses is a great idea. Yours looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If that were me and my dress I would be wearing it everywhere! You look stunning in it! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea for a project! I like how yours turned out, and will take a look at the others too.
    I made this pattern too (although I made the bodice a little too tight and I think the skirt is a little short...), also changed the zipper to the back (and ended up making a heart shaped cut-out at the back because my zipper was too short - typical :)).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've loved seeing everybody's different takes on this dress, yours is so cute; well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how it fits you perfectly. I have also made this dress previously - you can take a look here (http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/italian-summer-eyelet-dress)
    But you made me want to make it again! So- new follower, pleased to meet ya!:)

    ReplyDelete