Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sea glass.

This week I discovered a little beach, tucked away in the tail-end of the Eastern suburbs. It is not one of the 'popular' beaches, it is not patrolled by lifeguards, and it is hidden behind some very steep cliffs. Standing on the sand, against the towering cliff walls, you are surrounded by an almost untouched piece of coastline.

Instead of the noise of city traffic, you hear waves crashing against rocks.
Instead of the smell of smog, you breath in the salty sea air.
Instead of walking on pavement, your feet sink into sand with every step.

This beach was perfect.

Along the shoreline I found some beautiful sea glass hidden under small piles of seaweed, broken shells and drift wood. I took it home, gave it a wash, and am letting thoughts run through my head with what to do with it...




For now it is home in a jam jar on my kitchen window sill. A daily reminder of a perfect walk along the beach.

Sam xox

5 comments:

  1. Lovely, and so full of possibilities sitting there on your window sill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool find! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't sea glass the most beautiful thing? We found heaps of it on the beaches where we were on Maui a couple weeks ago, and I love this one instance where litter is changed by a force of nature into something really lovely. My idea for storing my collection was also to put it in a nice little glass jar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sam
    I've been collecting sea glass for years at Low Head in Tasmania. It washes up from shipwrecks. I have dishes and vases of glass. I love finding purple glass it's like an omen for my friends and I. We think it's lucky!!
    I made some lovely window hangings once for gifts.
    Chrisartst

    ReplyDelete
  5. just beautiful and such a lovely reminder of your day

    ReplyDelete